Memorial Day will be honored next Monday, May 30, 2011. This important day of remembrance gives our country an opportunity to commemorate U.S. soldiers who died while in military service. Many of your residents who served in the military during World War II, the Korean War, and other conflicts have vivid memories of their experiences and the family and friends they lost. You can help to support your residents by giving them an opportunity to recognize Memorial Day through activities and programs in and around your Community. Below are just a few ideas to help you get started; each idea listed is also a link to more information.
- Lead a discussion on the history and origins of Memorial Day.
- Invite a local school group to come hear stories from your residents who are veterans.
- Conduct a flag ceremony by setting the flag at your community to half-staff until noon.
- Create a memorial day scrapbook.
- Gather a group of resident and staff to volunteer to support Veterans or prepare care packages for current members of the military serving abroad.
- Help residents with transportation to a nearby cemetery to pay their respects at the graves of deceased relatives or friends.
- Contact your local VFW to join in on activities and events they are planning.
We hope these ideas will help you in planning appropriate Memorial Activities for your residents, visitors, and staff.