This week’s Tuesday Tip is being shared with us from Agility Recovery.
Millions of BlackBerry users around the world had their work, business and social lives severely affected this week after a server crash that disconnected smart phone users across the globe. The three-day outage interrupted email messages and Internet services for customers spanning five continents.
In today’s world of continuous communication, a network disruption can be detrimental to your business. Below are some simple tips to keep you and your employees connected during an outage.
- SMS Text Updates – Regardless of the severity of the interruption, it is important you have a way to notify employees, clients and stakeholders. SMS text messaging has proven to work even when other mobile functions are down. (Agility members, the Alert Notification tool is perfect for this.)
- Backup Contacts – Keep your contacts updated across all channels, including phone, email and social media. This will make it easy to reach out to the right people quickly.
- Have a Backup Email Provider – Keep a list of your key contacts in a separate web-based email system such as, Gmail, Yahoo Mail or myAgility. This will allow you to access your contacts and send updates from anywhere with an internet connection.
- Update Your Website – Know how to quickly update your website to address the situation. Consider having a pre-populated webpage that can be activated on short notice to provide information during an emergency.
- Follow-Up – Always inform your employees, stakeholders and clients when the outage has ended and steps you may be taking to prevent future interruptions.