How to Recognize CO Poisoning

The risk of carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning – which kills nearly 500 people every year in the U.S. – goes up during power outages after severe weather. Using alternative sources of power, such as portable generators, lanterns, and gas ranges can cause CO to build up in a home.

The CDC recommends watching for these signs of CO poisoning, especially while using alternative sources of power during a power outage:

  • Headache
  • Dizziness
  • Weakness
  • Nausea
  • Vomiting
  • Chest pain
  • Confusion

Click here to learn more about CO poisoning, including how to prevent it.

Discussion Area - Leave a Comment